Click here to edit subtitle

Name of Setting  BosleyBobkins

Type of Setting

Committee  run charity pre-school based on a school site 

Specific Age range 2-5 years

Number of places 16 +

Which types of special educational need do you cater for? (IRR)


We are an inclusive setting that offers specialisms in speech and language , autism spectrum disorders, sight and hearing, specific learning difficulties, emotional issues and cared for children.

Each section provides answers to questions from the Parent/Carer’s Point of View. The questions have been developed using examples from Pathfinder authorities, such as the SE7 Pathfinder Partnership, in conjunction with questions from Cheshire East parent carers. 

The requirements for the SEN Information Report have been incorporated into this document, based on the latest draft version of the Special Educational Needs (Information) Regulations (correct as of May 2014). Questions providing information required as part of the Information Report Regulations are shown using the letters IRR (Information Report Regulations).


Questions from the Parent/Carer’s Point of View:


How will you know if my child or young person needs extra help? (IRR)

• We assess all our children on entry and every half term to determine progress and individual levels/ areas of need. When a specific area of difficulty has been found it is targeted with differentiated work on an individual or small group basis. If this does not show progress we will contact outside agencies  with appropriate specialisms to support our work with the child. You will be involved in the process at all times.

What should I do if I think my child or young person needs extra help? 

Please approach your child’s key person or the Manager at any time. We are an open , friendly setting that believes that we support the whole family which can only be of benefit to the child.

Where can I find the setting/school’s SEND policy and other related documents? (IRR)

• All our policies are on our website and are updated annually. There is also a copy by our sign in book and paper copies are available by request


Teaching, Learning and Support

How will you teach and support my child or young person with SEND? (IRR)

• All our children are individuals. Being a small setting we get to know all our children and families well and quickly establish where their strengths and weaknesses lie. If your child has a specific need with or without an EHC plan the curriculum will be adapted to suit their abilities. We encourage parental involvement in all areas and use a link book for daily comments between home and school. If needed we send home tailored activities to involve the family in a fun, relaxed way in your child’s education. Your input is essential in your child’s development at all times. We liaise and access all available outside agency support if and when necessary and with your consent, as their expertise enhances your child’s learning experience.

 How will the curriculum and learning environment be matched to my child or young person’s needs? (IRR)

• We use daily small group to enable us to differentiate the work according to ability and need, sometimes this is on a 1:1 ratio and it can incorporate speech and language programmes, ELP work and other specific activities. This means your child does not feel segregated from his or her peers. All education plans and individual programmes will be planned and overseen by our SENDCo and deputy in collaboration with parents and outside agencies dependant on each child’s needs. All possible effort will be made to provide curriculum access to all our children.

How are the setting, school, or college’s resources allocated and matched to children or young people’s needs? 

• We try and accommodate all our pupil’s needs within our grant funding budget. As a registered charity we fundraise to provide additional equipment and resources. If a child has a specific need, beyond our capabilities to provide for we will seek advice, guidance and possible additional funding where possible.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child or young person will receive? Who will make the decision and on what basis?(IRR)

All decisions made to accommodate your child’s needs will be parent led in collaboration with our SENDCo , key person and outside agencies where appropriate.

How will equipment and facilities to support children and young people with SEND be secured? (IRR)

We will make every  effort  to provide suitable equipment and resources to support your child’s needs from grant funding , fundraising or applying for additional needs support grants.

How will you and I know how my child or young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning? (IRR)

• We assess all children half termly: it is colour coded/ dated to show progress. This information is available for parents to see whenever they like. Individual programmes are tailored to your child’s needs and therefore can be reviewed at more frequent intervals, parents and children {where appropriate} are involved at all times in this process. We have a parents evening around Easter time each year and a formal report is sent home detailing progress in all areas of the EYFS. More informal discussions are welcomed throughout the year with either the key person or our Teacher/manager and we are always happy to hear any worries or concerns on a daily basis. Your input is invaluable to us.

How does the setting, school or college consult with and involve children and young people with SEND in planning and reviewing their education? (IRR)

• All pupils contribute to their preschool experience. As a small setting we get to know them all very well and take their opinions/ interests/ dislikes into account when planning the curriculum. If a child is struggling with anything they usually feel confident enough to talk to us and processes are put in place to differentiate the curriculum.

How does the setting/school/college assess and evaluate the effectiveness and sufficiency of its arrangements and provision for children and young people with SEND? (IRR)

We take self evaluation very seriously and send out questionnaires annually to parents , outside providers and our older children. The results determine our school improvement plan and all comments are acted on.

Keeping Students Safe and Supporting Their Wellbeing

How do you ensure that my child or young person stays safe outside of the classroom? 

• At least one known member of staff is always with our pupils throughout the day, including lunch and break times. All risk assessments are completed and acted upon and the safety of all our pupils is paramount. Increased staff ratios will be in place if there is a possible risk to any of our children.

What pastoral support is available to support my child or young person’s overall well-being? 

Emotional development and pastoral support are the stepping stones at Bobkins on which we build education. We have routines in our daily plans that incorporate sharing and thinking of others. We openly encourage talking about how we feel and how our actions affect how others feel. We operate positive behaviour support initiatives, sometimes on an individual basis if necessary build confidence and self esteem.

How will the setting, school or college manage my child or young person’s medicine or personal care needs?

• If your child has a medical condition that requires support we will seek appropriate training for all our staff. Prescription medication can be administered and is at all times kept locked away in the office or in the fridge if necessary. It is signed off by both parents and staff when it has been given. All staff hold current paediatric first aid certificates and medical emergencies are dealt with calmly and in accordance with our policies and the child’s individual needs. All personal care needs are dealt with in a sympathetic manner in negotiation with parents and with guidance from support agencies if and when needed.

What support is available to assist with my child or young person’s emotional and social development? (IRR)

• At Bobkins we are small enough to get to know our families very well and to offer emotional support and security for all our pupils. We believe that if a child feels safe and happy they will learn and we will do anything in our power to achieve that. 

What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusions and increasing attendance?

We use positive behaviour methods with reward systems for a peer group or an individual, for example our star of the day or tidy up king/queen. All programmes are tailored to your child’s needs and interests to reward the good behaviour that is expected in our setting.

Working Together & Roles 

What is the role of my child or young person’s class teacher?

At  Bobkins we operate a key person system so your child will have a named person who works with him or her, but as a small setting all our staff know all our children well. Our Teacher/ manager is in the room and counted in ratios for the majority of the time, she plans work and monitors progress levels.

Who else has a role in my child or young person’s education?

• All staff at Bobkins will play a part in your child’s education, as do you and any outside agencies involved with your child’s needs. We all work together to provide the best support possible for your child.

How does the setting, school or college ensure that information about a child’s SEND or EHC plan is shared and understood by teachers and all relevant staff who come into contact with that child?

We have a staff link book, regular staff meetings and handover days so all relevant information is passed on. All staff are briefed on the needs of our children on entry and it is discussed regularly to ensure continuity for your child’s needs.

What expertise is available in the setting, school or college in relation to SEND? (IRR)

• Our Manager is an early years  teacher with a degree and experience in special needs and a diploma in specific learning difficulties. All our staff have specialized in areas that benefit our children from behaviour support, speech and language difficulties, autism spectrum disorders, sight and hearing difficulties and we are happy to do further training to accommodate your child’s needs.

Which other services do you access to provide for and support pupils and students with SEND (including health, therapy and social care services)? (IRR)

We are always happy to work alongside other professionals, to share their knowledge and expertise. At present we work alongside speech therapy, family support, educational psychologists, health visitors, social workers and school staff for transitions. We welcome all to visit and encourage work with the child in our setting.

Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something?

If you have any concerns at all please talk to your child’s keyworker or any other member of staff. You can write it in our link book, text, email or ring at any time. We are here to help.

Who is the SEN Coordinator and how can I contact them? (IRR)

Isabella & Jeanette:- one of them is available every day at Bobkins

What roles do have your governors have? And what does the SEN governor do?

We are a voluntary committee run charity with three long serving officers, their names and contact details are available on our noticeboard. We have regular meetings and all three play an active role in the management of our setting. All three have CRB / DBS checks, two have paediatric first aid certificates and our secretary who is also our safeguarding officer works for several hours each month in our office.

How will my child or young person be supported to have a voice in the setting, school or college? (IRR)

We listen to our pupils and get to know their interests. We ask them what they would like to do and this follows through in our planning

What opportunities are there for parents to become involved in the setting/school/college and/or to become governors?

We welcome all volunteers to join our management committee. At our annual general meeting we invite all our parents and carers to take an active part in running Bobkins the charity.

What help and support is available for the family through the setting, school or college? (IRR)

• We believe in helping the whole family in any way we can and staff often go above and beyond the call of duty to support when it is needed even after hours.If we can’t help we will certainly find someone who can.

Inclusion & Accessibility

How will my child or young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including trips? (IRR)

• As a group ,all activities are available to all our children if there are difficulties we will adapt/  differentiate the activity or find a way to accommodate the child’s needs

Are disabled changing and toilet facilities available? yes

Do you have parking areas for pick up and drop offs? Yes 


Who should I contact about my child joining your setting? (IRR)

Contact Jeanette or Isabella, on  01260 222993 to arrange a visit

How will you prepare and support my child or young person to join your setting, school, or college and how will you support them to move on to the next stage, or move on to adult life? (as applicable for setting) (IRR)

• Before you join us, we want you to visit and have  a trial day where parents can stay as long as you like. We like you to complete our parent contracts so we get to know abit about your child before entry. We will do home visits if you like and you will receive a welcome pack explaining how we work and what you need. When the time comes to move on to school or another nursery we will liaise with the setting, pass on our assessments and details about your child’s needs. We will visit if you would like us to, with or without your child. We aim to make the transition as smooth as possible for you and your child whilst making you feel supported throughout the whole procedure.

Additional Information

What other support services are there who might help me and my family? (IRR)

• We recommend parent partnership; contact details are on our notice board but if you have a particular issue or concern we will do our best to find the support you need.

When was the above information updated, and when will it be reviewed?

Completed September 2020 , reviewed September 2021 

Where can I find the Cheshire East Local Offer? (IRR)

From 1st September 2014, the Cheshire East Local Offer can be found at 

What can I do if I am not happy with a decision or what is happening? (IRR)

• Please let us know how you feel, we welcome any comments about our preschool and will do our best to answer any questions

Our  complaints procedure is on our website and our notice board including appropriate forms. Please do not hesitate to contact our committee or ofsted if you have serious concerns, again all details are on our notice board.